Exposure to mold can bring on all kinds of health problems, and stem from the person breathing in airborne mold cells, including spores. The truth is that many people breath these spores in on a daily basis, inside and outside, and typically these spores do not present a health risk. The problem is when the exposure is long-term, especially in those with asthma and allergies, and can result in mild to major health hazards.
Allergic illness is one health hazard to mold, and happens when people inhale mold spores and cells and they land inside of the persons respiratory tract. This can cause an allergic illness, such as allergic rhinitis, and hay fever.
Mold can be a cause of the development of asthma, which is a lung disease that causes the airways to the lungs to partially close, which causes breathing problems that can be mild (a dry cough) to life threatening problems such as inability to breath correctly. Over half of the asthmatics have mold related respiratory allergies, and mold can trigger asthma attacks with people who have asthma.
Infection is another health hazard of mold, and there are those mold species that are able to cause a respiratory infection. People with strong immune systems will not have this issue as much as people with weakened immune systems will, but is still known to be a major health hazard that mold can cause.
Mycotoxins can be caused by heavy mold exposure as well, and this is due to very large exposures of big doses of mold.
As you can see, there are some pretty heavy health problems that can be associated with the exposure to mold that people can knowingly and unknowingly be breathing in every day. It is very important that if you suspect that there may be mold growing in your home that you get rid of it as soon as possible, as breathing this in on a daily consistent basis can be the trigger of many health related problems. There are some really reputable companies that can help you get rid of mold in your home. These are a few of the many different health effects of mold, and if left untreated, this can result in some serious health hazards down the road. Be sure to treat mold in your home as soon as you realize it is present.